NRL: Warriors pick up first win of the season

The Warriors are on the board for 2024.

After two close losses to start the season, the Warriors have picked up their first win, edging the Raiders 18-10 in Christchurch.

The Warriors lost fullback Taine Tuaupiki to a head knock, with Roger Tuivasa-Shek stepping in at fullback and scoring the crucial try which put them out of reach of the Raiders.

Skipper Tohu Harris told Sky Sport it was a huge relief to get the two points.

“It’s been a tough three weeks, some tough opposition and to get over the line in front of an outstanding crowd was great.”

He said they took some clear lessons from their gut-wrenching loss in Melbourne.

“While we weren’t perfect tonight we did enough because the Raiders kept coming.”

Addin Fonua-Blake was again outstanding with ball in hand while Rocco Berry’s stock continues to rise in the centres.

The visitors had the first real attacking raid of the match, however a copybook hit from Berry forced an error.

The Warriors managed to butcher a sure try after Shaun Johnson sent Jackson Ford through the Raiders defence, only for Ford not to pass to unmarked players on either side of him.

It would not cost too much however, Johnson again putting it on a platter, this time for Fonua-Blake who strolled in untouched.

Having expertly diffused his first high ball assignment, Tuaupiki mistimed the second and went into touch, gifting the Raiders a set ten out.

However the Raider’s attacking radar was wayward, a forward pass ending another chance at points.

Addin Fonua-Blake scores the opening try.

Fonua-Blake looked set for a second when Berry claimed a Johnson bomb and set his front rower away, but he was caught by a desperate cover tackle and unable to find Johnson in support.

Another try went begging soon after this time for Canberra, Ethan Strange showing tremendous strength to get his way over the line only to spill the Steeden as he attempted to grass it.

Matt Timoko made no such mistake when he barged his way over to score, breaking through Roger Tuivasa-Shek’s attempted tackle before sitting down Marcelo Montoya.

Canberra were unable to add the extras as the Warriors took a 6-4 half-time lead.

The Warriors’ execution continued to be found wanting, turning down two points from consecutive kick-able penalties and then failing to cross the chalk.

Tuaupiki was pulled from the field for an HIA, Tuivasa-Shek slotting in at the back, as the hosts kept creating scoring opportunities to no avail.

Tohu Harris sent replacement Tom Ale through a gaping hole but the supporting Mitch Barnett did not have the pace to go all the way.

A defensive error from Montoya handed the Raiders the first points of the second and the lead for the first time, Nick Cotric dotting down in the right corner after his opposite left the line.

The Warriors dodged a massive bullet shortly after, Tuivasa-Shek spilling a high ball to allow Joseph Tapine in under the sticks, replays revealing a slight knock on.

They would mark the reprieve with some absolute magic, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak cutting across the park past several Raiders and throwing a perfect pass to a flying Luke Metcalf to reclaim the lead.

More followed, Tuivasa-Shek announcing his return with an emphatic try, showcasing his fleet feet and power as he muscled his way over for his first four pointer since coming back to the NRL.

Up by eight with 10 minutes remaining, the Warriors avoided a repeat of the miracle comeback pulled off by the Storm last weekend, and after a series of referee challenges from Canberra, closed out their season’s first victory.


Warriors 18 (Fonua-Blake, Metcalf, Tuivasa-Shek tries, Metcalf 3 goals)

Raiders 10 (Timoko, Cotric, tries, Fogarty 1 goal)

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck scores his first try back in Warriors colours.

According to the news on Radio New Zealand

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button