Phoenix end season on high note

The Wellington Phoenix have finished their Liberty A-League season in style.

The Phoenix have beaten finals hopefuls Western Sydney Wanderers 2-0 in their final round match at Porirua Park.

Emma Main scored both goals to secure the Nix their ninth win of the season and ensure the Sister City Cup remains in Porirua for the off-season.

“It was really good,” Phoenix head coach Paul Temple told media post-match.

“Potentially the best 25 minutes of the season in terms of starting a game. It was electric, and we didn’t really give them a kick in the first half an hour.”

The result means Wellington will finish eighth on the ladder, five points outside the top six, while Western Sydney now have to wait and see if they make the finals.

Temple handed young goalkeeper Aimee Danieli her A-League debut off the bench and she made a great fingertip save to ensure the Nix secured a clean sheet.

“We’ve got faith in these young kids and I knew if she had to make saves, if she had to come and claim balls she’d be able to do it, because she’s a good goalkeeper.”

Isabel Cox should have put the Nix in front in the sixth minute when she pounced on a wayward back pass and was through one-one-one with Western Sydney keeper Sham Khamis.

The Nix finally got reward for their dominance in the 18th minute when Emma Main headed home an inch-perfect left-wing cross from Manaia Elliott from six yards out.

Elliott picked herself off the turf to deliver the cross after being injured in a tackle moments earlier.

She required attention immediately after the goal but was able to play on.

Former Wellington forward Cushla Rue had the first shot of the second half, but she wasn’t able to trouble Rylee Foster after finding some space at the top of the box.

Soon after, Main doubled the Nix’s lead when she slipped in behind the Western Sydney defence and squeezed a shot over Khamis and into the back of the net.

Macey Fraser came close to making it three-nil in time added on with her shot from outside the box narrowly missing the top left corner.

But two goals was enough for the Nix and Mackenzie Barry lifted the Sister City Cup after the fulltime whistle.

According to the news on Radio New Zealand

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button