Super Rugby Pacific: Chiefs stroll into semi-finals with 43-21 win over Reds

Having flown somewhat under the radar heading into the quarters, the Chiefs have sent a timely reminder of their title credentials after routing the Reds at home.

A stunning four-try blitz by the Chiefs inside the opening quarter on Friday night essentially shut the gate on the Queenslanders, who head home following a comprehensive 43-21 defeat.

The near three-decade drought continues for Australian sides visiting Aotearoa for a Super Rugby playoff, with the ledger now 16-0 in favour of the Kiwis.

The Chiefs were ruthless early in the contest at FMG Stadium in Hamilton. Damian McKenzie again steered the ship in masterful fashion while Wallace Sititi continued to impress in his rookie season.

Chiefs skipper Luke Jacobson told Sky Sport that the scoreboard did not reflect the contest.

“It was tough, and we knew it would be. Defence was a big focus for us this week.”

Hooker Samisoni Taukei’aho opened the scoring, showing brute force to batter his way through three Red’s defenders.

The Chiefs were all over the visitors early, freeing up Sititi to charge down the right wing before slipping it inside to Emoni Narawa, who shrugged off a tackler on his way to the line.

Anton Lienert-Brown scores.

The scoring didn’t slow, this time Narawa creating one as he flicked it infield with inches to spare for a barnstorming Taukei’aho to bag his brace.

The Chiefs were running riot in Hamilton, with McKenzie kicking ahead for Shaun Stevenson to regather, the fullback then chipping ahead for Nanai-Seturo to scoop up and score a fourth.

McKenzie pushed the advantage by a further three before the break to give his side a commanding 31-point lead heading into the sheds.

Just three minutes into the second spell,Tate McDermott put his side on the board as he sneaked in from the base.

However, the glimmer of hope was quickly quashed when Anton Lienert-Brown sliced through the line for the Chief’s fifth.

The Reds refused to surrender as McDermott sneaked in for a second, but once again the Chiefs responded almost immediately through replacement hooker Bradley Slater as Hunter Paisami was sent to the sin bin for a deliberate knock-down.

Creighton picked up a late consolation for the hosts to reduce the scoreboard damage, but they had been thoroughly out-classed by a rampant Chiefs outfit.


Chiefs 43 (Taukei’aho 2, Narawa, Nanai-Seturo, Lienert-Brown, Slater, McKenzie 5 cons,1 pen)

Reds 21 (McDermott 2, Creighton tries, Creighton 3 cons)

Wallace Sititi shifts the ball on.

According to the news on Radio New Zealand

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button