Warriors go back-to-back in tightly contested win over the Knights

The Warriors led from start to finish to post their second straight win of the NRL season with a 20-12 win against the Newcastle Knights in a repeat of last year’s NRL finals clash.

The Auckland side scored three tries to two in the round four thriller with the Knights closing in on the home side at the finish.

Despite losing speedy five-eighth Luke Metcalf in the early stages, replacement Chanel Harris-Tavita made an impact for the Auckland side.

Warriors captain Tohu Harris told Sky Sport while there were lapses in the game there was plenty to like after they went to the break leading 12-6.

“They came with a bit of intensity especially in that first half, it was a tough one out there,” Harris said.

“I’m just happy we managed to put in the effort and get the two points.”

The Warriors suffered a blow in the 10th minute with playmaker Luke Metcalf leaving the field with a leg injury.

Metcalf’s night came to an abrupt end after a heavy hit from Tyson Frizell in the tackle.

After losing their five-eighth, the Warriors were the first team to put points on the board in the 16th minute when second-rower Jackson Ford received a pass from Shaun Johnson to slice through the gap over the line.

Utility Chanel Harris-Tavita came onto the bench in a late line-up change and was called into action early as a substitution for Metcalf.

He made his mark immediately after Wayde Egan made a clean break out of dummy half to score next to the posts as the Warriors chalked up back-to-back tries to lead 12-0.

The Knights came back into the game on attack with a Tyson Gamble grubber kick which bounced perfectly for Tyson Frizell who gathered for the Knights first points, to take the score to 12-6.

Some defensive lapses highlighted by a dropped ball from Roger Tuivasa-Sheck gave the Knights the chance to score again but some steady defence held the visitors approaching halftime.

The Warriors produced a stunning moment to start the second half off a high kick from Chanel Harris-Tavita.

Marcelo Montoya soared over the defence to collect the ball and score in the corner, with a wide conversion from Shaun Johnson taking the score to 18-6.

A Shaun Johnson penalty pushed the lead out to 20-6.

A Kalyn Ponga grubber was collected by Bradman Best allowing the Knights to close the gap in the 73rd minute, closing the gap 20-12.

Warriors captain Tohu Harris also commended halfback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for his performance at halfback as he covered for injuries to Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Taine Tuaupiki.

“Our outside backs have been outstanding for the past year and a bit so adding Roger (Tuivasa-Sheck) to that only helps that,” Tohu Harris said.

“It’s exciting for us to have outside backs who can do some damage like that.”

Hooker Egan was a welcome return for the Warriors in the win.

The Warriors move to eighth on the standings, and next take on the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

According to the news on Radio New Zealand

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button