Wellington Phoenix women’s 4-0 win over Adelaide United keep A-League hopes alive

A rampant Wellington Phoenix women bagged four goals and three crucial points against Adelaide United on Wednesday afternoon to keep their A-League playoffs alive.

The Phoenix are essentially playing knockout football and will take plenty of confidence from today’s drubbing ahead of their final two must win games of the regular season.

Captain Michaela Foster said it was a bit of a turnaround from their 4-2 defeat to Sydney on Sunday.

“We just had to mentally switch off from that Sydney game, we had to win today and we did it in front of a really cool crowd.

“To have a clean sheet and to put four goals in the nets is really exciting so we just have to do that again.”

Dominant from start to finish at Porirua Park, it took just three minutes before Claudia Jenkins was called on to repel a Phoenix onslaught, the hosts putting two shots on in quick succession.

The breakthrough came in the 13th minute, Mariana Speckmaier netting her 10th goal of the season and her seventh in as many games.

Macey Leigh Fraser forced a turnover inside the area following a defensive error from Adelaide, before linking with Speckmaier who thundered it to the right of Jenkins for the game’s opener.

The Venezuelan had another shot a few minutes later following a storming run down the left flank, but could only find the arms of Jenkins.

Isabel Hodgson produced the only real chance for Adelaide in the 28th, a desperate dive from Rylee Foster able to tip it over the bar.

The Phoenix continued to pepper Adelaide but were unable to net a second before the break.

They would continue to dominate both territory and possession and would be rewarded after another 15 minutes of one-sided football.

With Speckmaier having just made way for Michaela Robertson, the 21-year-old made an immediate impact with a surging run and pinpoint cross.

Adelaide had the chance to clear it but could only find the feet of Katie Taylor who powered it home.

Barely five minutes later, the Phoenix were in again, Isabel Cox setting off on a blistering break before Emma Main put it on a platter for Robertson to chip it into the back of the net.

Just as the 90 minute mark rolled over, Foster put the icing on the cake, Robertson setting her captain up beautifully to seal an emphatic win.

The win moves Wellington into eighth spot on the ladder, and they will meet Canberra away on Sunday afternoon.

According to the news on Radio New Zealand

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button